Should you Summerize Your Home In Palm Springs
While You Are Away For The Summer?
Summarize your home? In the Palm Springs, CA desert, if a home is to be left vacant for a few months during the summer, a few precautions are necessary to ensure that when you return, things will be ready to go with fewer problems.
Steps To Take- a checklist for your use
- Turn off the refrigerator, clean it out and leave the door ajar. Place a box of baking soda inside too.
- Remove all dry foods and open packages from the home to discourage pests
- It’s good to leave the AC on or off, that choice is personal. For my clients, we leave it on and set at 89. Furnishings do dry out at high temps and very dry conditions.
- It is best to have someone come by once a month and flush toilets, run water in the sinks (keeps sewer gas out) and run the dishwasher on a rinse cycle (keeps the seal moist). If that is not possible, wrap the toilet opening with plastic wrap to keep the water in. Place several table spoons of vegetable oil in the dishwasher to keep the seal moist.
- If you have valuable furniture, cabinets and fabrics in the home, place a large trash can in the tub and fill it with water. This will help keep humidity in the air and save things from drying out. Have someone refill it during the summer. Five gallon buckets placed around the home will work too.
- Turn off all services including phone and Internet. Leave electricity, gas and water on.
- Change the furnace filter especially if you are leaving the A/C on. You could turn it off completely but it’s best to set it to a higher temperature (90) in the summer.
- Check / close fireplace damper. Remember to unplug all appliances throughout the house. Open the door on the clothes washer and place a few tablespoons of vegetable oil in the bottom of the tub as well.
- Lock all doors and windows placing wood dowels in the tracks of sliders where possible. Open closet and room doors to allow air flow.
- For the outside- adjust your drip system for the additional water required; be sure to obey drought water regulations; trim all trees and shrubs; put away all furniture and accessories. Secure your garage door, unplug the opener and lock the storage shed.
- Turn off the main water supply to the house being careful to not turn off the irrigation system. This will prevent floods inside if a water line fails. I have seen the water line to the icemaker fail far too many times.
- Turn the hot water heater to the Pilot setting and take this opportunity to drain, flush and refill it.
So there you have it. Print this page and keep it handy when getting ready to fly north for the summer and your return migration may be just a bit easier.
Information About Buying or Selling Palm Springs Area Real Estate
Buying or Selling in today’s real estate market is a challenge and a process that is easily accomplished with the help of a Real Estate professional. You will need an expert who has lived in the desert and knows the lifestyle and the unique housing market.
The market in the Greater Palm Springs Area is alive and the values are exceptional for those who are looking for an ideal investment or a vacation/retirement property. We have many choices for every need, budget and amenity list.
Is to be your primary residence? We have what it takes to get you settled into a great family home in the neighborhood of your choice.
Selling your home in the Greater Palm Springs Area? I will make the experience easy, friendly and professional. Our mission is to provide outstanding service while utilizing the best practices and Internet technology available.
If you are plan to rent your new home, we have the staff partners who will assist with any project or property management while you are away from the property.
Following links are to area Bio’s and searches:
- Palm Springs Real Estate– Palm Springs Single Family Homes * Palm Springs Condominiums
- Cathedral City Real Estate– Cathedral City Single Family Homes
- Desert Hot Springs Real Estate– Desert Hot Springs Single Family Homes
- Indio Real Estate– Indio Single Family Homes
- La Quinta Real Estate– La Quinta Single Family Homes
- Palm Desert Real Estate– Palm Desert Single Family Homes
- Rancho Mirage Real Estate– Rancho Mirage Single Family Homes
For more information on how I can best serve your Greater Palm Springs area needs, please fill out the online contact form give us a call at 760-413-2871.
I won’t just sell you a house but I WILL help you find the home you will LOVE!
Map of Palm Springs, CA