Usually when a new short sale property comes on the market, it is done as an offering from the current home owner through a Realtor. The bank has normally not yet been notified and so at this point, if all goes well, it will be 4 to 6 months before it will close. If the bank has approved the short-sale, the time frame will decrease by about one third or more.
The steps can be fairly drawn out but in short, here they are:
1. The seller (home owner) must first qualify for a short sale. In other words, the seller must prove to the bank they cannot make the payment. After filling out all the paperwork and providing the bank with all their requested documents takes a minimum of 6 weeks.
2. If approved for a short-sale, the file is sent the short sale department. It will be about 1 month before the file on the property will be begin to be processed. There is no time frame here on how long that will actually take.
3. Then once a processor acknowledges the file is complete and every box has been checked and all documents are in, it goes to the bank’s Negotiator. This step takes more than a month.
4. Once the negotiator has it and has placed it into their work flow, it takes 2 to 3 weeks for the negotiator to order an appraisal. This takes an additional 2 weeks to get that ordered and back to the negotiator.
5. Then if everything checks out, it then goes to the Investor (the entity that actually owns the mortgage). The investor is the final person that OK’s the sale based upon the amount to money they are willing to loose and if they believe the property was aggressively marketed. They also must approve that the price is the fair market value which all in all takes at least a month.
6. Once all of this is done and accepted, an ordinary escrow will be allowed to open. The escrow for a cash deal will be at least 21 days. For other deals where a loan is involved, you must allow for a 30-45 day escrow.
7. During escrow, other things can happen that may affect closing. Anything from an issue with Title to problems discovered during buyer investigations that include a home inspection and review of other reports such as HOA docs. Any problems uncovered may be cause to extend the escrow period.
When all of these issues are resolved or when escrow is completed, closing will proceed and title will transfer.
So now you know. I’m not trying to discourage anyone from buying a short-sale. Rather its important to note that the process is long and may not be for everyone or anyone who’s in a hurry to own.
Want more information about the Desert Cities ?
Buying or Selling Palm Springs Real Estate?
Buying or Selling in today’s real estate market is a challenge and a process that is easily accomplished with the help of a Palm Springs real estate agent focusing on the neighboring desert cities. You will need an expert who has lived in the area, knows the lifestyle and the unique housing market.
The market for Palm Springs Area real estate is alive and the values are exceptional especially for those who are looking for an ideal investment or a vacation/retirement property. We have many Palm Springs real estate properties available for every need, budget and amenity list.
Are you searching for your primary residence? We have a variety of Palm Springs homes for sale and have what it takes to get you settled in the neighborhood of your choice.
Selling your home in Palm Springs Area? Your home buying or selling experience will be one that is easy, friendly and professional. Our mission is to offer outstanding service while utilizing the best practices and Internet technology available.
If you are planning to buy Palm Springs investment property, or property in the surrounding area, we have the staff partners who will help with any project or property management tasks while you are away.
Following links are to Area City Bio’s and Property Searches:
- Learn About Palm Springs Real Estate
- Learn About Cathedral City Real Estate
- Learn About Desert Hot Springs Real Estate
- Learn About Indian Wells Real Estate
- Learn About Indio Real Estate
- Learn About La Quinta Real Estate
- Learn About Palm Desert Real Estate
- Learn About Rancho Mirage Real Estate
For more information on how we can best serve your Palm Springs Real Estate and surrounding area needs, please fill out the online contact form or give us a call at 760-322-7822.
We won’t just sell you a house but We WILL help you find the home you will LOVE!
Ron is a Palm Springs Realtor® who specializes in the surrounding desert cities, including Palm Springs vacation homes, investment properties in Palm Springs and primary single-family Homes for Sale in Palm Springs.
He has the long-term knowledge necessary to make buying and selling Palm Springs real estate a smooth and enjoyable process. Ron has extensive experience in Coachella Valley real estate, having lived and worked in the desert area since 1998.
WHY DOES RON JESSER LOVE THE GREATER PALM SPRINGS AREA?
Use the search map below to browse all Palm Springs Area Homes For Sale
550 S Oleander Rd Palm Springs, CA, 92264 USA
email@example.com • 760-413-2871