100 Years Palm Springs History- 1912

100 Years Palm Springs History- 1912; The White Sisters100 Years Palm Springs History- 1912; The White Sisters

Palm Springs History- 1912; The White Sisters came to town at a time when this place was still a big dry sandy windy desert.  So why would these brave ladies venture our into no-man’s (or woman’s) land?

Dr. Florilla White and Miss Corneila White were explorers, budding nature lovers and so they spent a lot of time exploring the desert especially the nearby canyons.  Story has it they also never wore dresses and were comfortable on a horse too.  Now a third sister, Isabel, was much more proper in her attire so I guess she was the “lady” in the bunch.
Part of downtown palm springs history

The sisters purchased Welwood Murray’s Palm Springs Hotel deriving much of their business from The Desert Inn.  At that time, Palm Springs had only 15 buildings in the village.  They purchased the entire 100 block of North Palm Canyon Drive and later purchased the entire block south of Tahquitz Canyon Way.  Apparently these ladies were very well off for those times.

The current Corneila White house, pictured above, was the one built by Welwood Murray of railroad ties in 1893.  It was located in the area south of Tahquitz and then was moved in 1944 to the area of Indian Canyon then later in 1979 to its current location.

For more information, read below about the fascinating and dangerous times in early Palm Springs History.

 

In other events:

Oasis Date garden is founded

The Titanic departed Queenstown Ireland bound for New York City

The Girl Scouts are founded in Georgia

Tarzan Of The Apes is published

San Francisco launches the first municipally owned street cars

For more information, contact the Palm Springs Historical Society.

Click here to submit your review.


Submit your review
* Required Field

Palm Springs Real Estate News and Happenings- Palm Springs Homes For Sale
550 S Oleander Rd Palm SpringsCA92264 USA 
 • 760-413-2871

Comments

About Victor Yepello

BIO~
Vic Yepello has been a Palm Springs resident since 2005.  He moved here at a time in his life when a change was necessary to get away from a high-pressure job and the weather back in Philadelphia. That proved to be the right decision in so many ways. Coming to Palm Springs began a new chapter in his life like never before.

Vic obtained his Real Estate license in February of 2006 working hard to establish a name and trade.  In 2010, he began a business partnership with Ron Jesser. Together, they have enjoyed much success in helping their clients achieve their goals of buying, selling and investing in Real Estate across the desert communities.  To them, they believe an agent should not disappear after Escrow.

Vic also works as a city commissioner on the Palm Springs Sustainability Commission.  He co-chairs the Non-Motorized Transportation Subcommittee; he has worked on the water conservation task force and takes part in many other community activities.  

When not doing any of the above, he can be seen around town quite often on his bike enjoying the scenic beauty of the desert.  Vic has used his bike to raise money for his favorite charity AIDS Lifecycle because giving back is a part of what he does everyday.
As Vic says: “If you want to learn about the city, it’s best done on two wheels!"